7.3.11

Beautiful: Neo-grotesque.

When talking to a girl or a woman, or describing one, there is one term I would almost never use.
Beautiful.
A number of years ago I just might have. But in todays reality of unattainable physical perfection, I refuse to.

Why, you ask?

Well, I believe that the word has become insulting. Synonymous with demeaning. A symbol representative of destroyed lives, minds and bodies for the sake of attaining physical perfection.
Women out there starve themselves. Have flesh carved from bone, muscles and bones disfigured, foreign objects implanted. All for the search for an ''aesthetic perfection''. All for what mass media likes to now name ''Beautiful''.
In the process of becoming ''Beautiful'', many become empty shells, narcissistic and self-obsessed cattle with no hope of making an impact in life. It is not of course their fault, but nonetheless they begin losing valuable shreds of themselves which they will never again be able to ascertain.
It really is incredibly sad.
What I find truly beautiful is a rare thing these days. True beauty lies behind the flesh, behind the bone. It is an intangible thing, really. Someones personality, their identity, their sense of self really attracts me.

I find beauty in things people often don't consider beautiful. So what they may not be physically attractive. What exactly does that have to do with anything? 

Actually, expanding upon this, I was talking to one of my friends recently and the subject of my ex-girlfriends was brought up. He actually asked me why I ''dated ugly chicks''.
Rather then smashing his face in with my fist, I asked him why every single girl he had dated thus far whilst being considered ''attractive'' by general society, were false and facade-driven people who cared only for his money and looking pretty. He soon shut up. :)

And thats precisely why I will never call someone ''Beautiful'' . I see them as MORE then that.

4 comments:

  1. I think the word 'beautiful' is also overused. If you see people as more than that, then you're right - why use the bare minimum of words, not even close to what you perceive?

    I have always hated the word, I don't know why. It doesn't old the passion that it once did (if ever), it's really horrid and lame, and there are other words, other ways to express what someone thinks of another. Society has corrupted the word's meaning and our perception of others. Why that friend of yours chose to refer to your exes as 'ugly' I shall never know. But you know the truth: you see what they don't.

    You know what word I like though? Gorgeous. And it's not like I fit it to a cookie-cutter face and people with the thinness of a stick. I can only call someone that if they are gorgeous inside and out and in every way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it right on the head there Gina! 'Beautiful' definitely isn't what it used to be, once upon a time it used to hold meaning, but then the poets of times past were replaced with surgeons and botox. Where did society go wrong?

    Gorgeous is a nice word for sure :), but my favourite for sure is unique. Because those who truly are gorgeous or truly (old school) beautiful, have a unique and rare quality about them ^^



    On a side note, I really can't wait to get into blogging on a regular basis again, might even need a proper website soon xD

    ReplyDelete